July 6, 2015

Highlights of 2015 [1]

HELLO EVERYONE! IT'S BEEN A YEAR!
I don't know if there's one that still pays a visit to my blog, but if there is, thank you. College life has been amazing, you know, I'm currently involved in many activities and never been so great :)
So I'm having my three months holiday, which is heaven, though I'm sure most of the days I'll be like wake up at 11 and go to sleep at 9 hahahaha.
2015 so far has been treating me so well, I feel really blessed. HELL YEAH 2015 IS INDEED MY YEAR. I'd like to tell you some highlights of my 2015, but it will be a really long post so I divide it into parts. I hope you do not mind reading, because I'm so excited while writing this!

[1] Being A Part Of ISAFIS And UI MUN Club
Back then I was a plain highschool student, refused to join any organization because I thought it was useless and would waste my time. But college is different, it has so much to offer. I need to join an affiliation because it will widen my network and make my college life meaningful. However, I don't enjoy the work of organization that doesn't have base like student association (in Bahasa it's BEM or Himpunan Mahasiswa), so I tried (1) Indonesian Student Association for International Studies (ISAFIS) and (2) UI Model United Nations Club.
Of 200+ applicants, ISAFIS only accepts 30ish and YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW UNEASY I WAS. I applied for a staff of Research and Development division, responsible for substantive matters, and I really wanted to get in. But I made it! So happy :')
For UI MUN Club, I applied for a staff of Conference and Training. It's responsible to arrange selection of UI Delegations for international MUNs and maintain the training.
Some of you might be not familiar with Model United Nations, I assume? It's a competition, simply like you are in a UN council conference, and you're representing a particular country. In that council you'd discuss about a global issue (i.e. Ebola Outbreak) and make a resolution.
  
 
[2] 19th Birthday
The 4th birthday without boyfriend HAHA but that's not the point though. I got lovely college mates, they gave me surprise after class! I felt really loved, you know how much I love surprises. Probably I was the happiest person on earth that time :))
This year's birthday, I didn't buy myself a family-size typical cake. Instead, I bought two cute cupcakes from Collete&Lola! I like sweets, but I realized that cake isn't cheapy and I'm soon to be grown-up; birthday cake becomes meaningless as I would still be happy and grateful for another year added to my life even without it. I had birthday dinner with my family at Branche, Senopati.
OH THAT MAKES ME 20 NEXT YEAR. That feels scary, since being twenties means real life and work and serious relationship with your significant other.
I don't think I'm ready..
Happy Birthday, Self!




[3] 60th Commemoration of Asian-African Conference - Parliamentary Meeting (KAA 60)

Here's the most fun thing happened in my 2015! This year, KAA had series of events: high officials meetings, ministerial meetings, parliamentary meetings, business project, carnivals and whatnots in both Jakarta and Bandung in April. One of ISAFIS Alumnae; the Vice Speaker of our DPR, Mr. Fadli Zon, asked us to be Liaison Officer for the Parliamentary Meetings. Being an LO means you have to assist the delegation you're responsible for during the conference and even outside conference! I had to be the LO of Zimbabwe delegation with their Speaker of Parliament, and I was totally excited!!
- I would assist the Speaker of Parliament of the Zimbabwe, Mr. Jacob Mudenda!!! (I googled his name and pic HAHA), it was really once-in-a-lifetime experience omg
- I learned a lot about Zimbabwe back in first term in my major
- the following month I had PadjadjaranMUN and I would be representing Zimbabwe in African Union = I could ask a lot about the country to the delegation = that made my research easier and valid :))

The conference was held in parliament building, while the delegations would stay in Intercontinental Hotel. Oh right, except the delegation of my friend Putri haha she got Kenya, and Kenya sent 12 people and we were like why the heck would you send that many!! hahaha, so due to the limited rooms some of Kenya delegation had to stay separated in Sahid Hotel.
It was April 23, the delegations should have been in the Int. Hotel and we the LO were waiting for their arrival. One by one the delegations came and it was really fun looking at 'em! Most of delegations from Arab countries wear their traditional clothes and turban it's cute. I waited until late night but my delegations still did not come :( I called the Zimbabwe Embassy but no one had idea if Mr. Mudenda would come for parliamentary meeting (have asked 3 people, anyway), so I felt kinda disappointed. At night we had a rehearsal in parliament building, and stayed in Sahid Hotel. All for free!! Ah how I love working for DPR ;)
April 24 is the d-day. All LO have to be ready in the morning to assist their respective delegations to cars provided--all fancy cars, you bet: Mercy, Alphard. Since my delegations didn't seem to come, I became the floor assistant and went first to the venue to help preparation. When I got there, someone called and asked me if I could be an LO for Palestine delegate. I said okay, but didn't know which was the Palestine delegate. I got the description--the delegate was a middle-aged man, kinda bald, short and fat, grey suit. A'ight, I watched over the gate and there he was! Bald-headed, grey suited man! I clarified first and he said yes, so I brought him to morning coffee venue.
Here's the funny part: later, my friend Audrey came with someone who she told me was Palestine delegate! AND WHO WAS I BRINGING JUST THEN? I found out that the man I guided was Iran delegate, Mr. Hassan Asafari, and he only spoke Persian. Great.
So I ended up being with this Iran delegate while Audrey took care of the Palestine, and turned out that there were 3 people for Iran delegation: Mr. Hassan Asafari and Mr. Nasser Soudani the parliament member of Iran, and Mr. Syafian as the representation of Iran Embassy in Indonesia. I communicated with Mr. Syafian since he was the only one speaking English. For God's sake, they were so hard to handle :') once, some delegates made a Draft Resolution to be signed by all as commitment to support the resolutions. There's one point that said they acknowledged both Palestine and Israel as a sovereign countries. All delegates did sign, except--guess who? Yea right, my delegation. They refused to sign because they said Israel is not a country! Netanyahu's regime is not legitimate! and stuff, trying to convince another Arab countries delegations. The conference finally ended and delegates went to their cars, phew. But once again, my Iran delegation insisted on going into the car for East Timor delegation. I told Mr. Syafian to get out, but he was like "Okay, you coming to the hotel for dinner right? We'll see you in the hotel," and they went.

There was a Gala Dinner for the delegations together with our DPR RI, and I was really lucky to join! Dishes were served 7 times, I couldn't finish it haha. After that, LO had to get the souvenirs for all delegates so I asked my delegation to stay in lobby. I gave it to them and we had small talks, sitting in lobby. Mr. Soudani spoke Arabian and a bit English, while Mr. Asafari spoke Persian only we communicated through google translate HAHA I KNOW RIGHT HILARIOUS. They told me that they had kids, and we talked a bit about nuclear bomb. That time, Iran was issued to developing their nuclear power and I felt like asking, though it was offensive and awkward. I told them about my major and stuffs, and turned out that they were good men. When we're about to go back, they asked me to accompany them to go shopping tomorrow, which I said okay.

At 8 in the morning, I was ready in the hotel. I met Mr. Syafian in the lobby but the two had not appeared yet, so we looked for them to the restaurant. After everyone gathered, the car from embassy came and they got in. I was kinda confused about where I should sit, but suddenly they told me to wait here and they went away.
And I was like
WHAT
THE 
HECK.
I was mad, thinking why were they like that? They asked me to guide 'em but now left me behind? I really had enough. I sat on the lobby, didn't know what to do. Some delegation were checking out, including Oman delegation. One of 'em (let's call him Mr. Q) approached and asked me to give their books to Iran delegation. Later, I was bored and went downstairs to a minimart. There, I met Mr. Q once again and we talked a bit. He insisted on paying for my stuffs (you know how Arab people are stubborn) and we walked upstairs. He suddenly asked if we could talk later on so I gave my email (he paid for me, I didn't want to be rude!!) but he asked for my phone number. I didn't have choice, I was all alone there so I gave it. He then went with his delegation to Puncak.
That night he actually sent me message by whatsapp, sending a picture of Puncak. I only replied for the sake of politeness really don't get me wrong! But he kept on asking about me like what are you doing? how old are you? are you married?.............. and he finally, umm, confessed? HAHA. OH MY.
He told me that, the very first time he walked into the hotel, he already saw me. At the first sight he thought that my eyes were beautiful. Look, Mommy! Even Oman official could not resist the temptation of my eyes hehehehe :P
We still talk in whatsapp, but it's purely because I've taken interest at middle east affair. We talked about Israel-Palestine, Syria Civil War, and stuffs. He sometimes sends me pictures of his workplace and voice notes if he's still driving, okay now I sound like dating him that's scary.
Being involved in KAA60 was amazing, awesome, you name it! I experienced many thing that I believe wouldn't happen twice :)) Here are some pictures of it.
Ah I miss it already.... :(




That's it for now. I will continue my story in the next post! Stay tuned, people :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik