July 4, 2014

The Fault in Our Stars

I just watched the movie and (as expected) I cried so hard! The movie was very good; though the first time I heard that Ansel Elgort would play as Gus I was a bit disappointed—I wished it was someone with blue eyes and dark hair because that's how John Green pictured Gus in the book. But Ansel was, well—amazing.

Talking about the movie, sure it's no better than the book; but so is every adopted movie, no? So I think it's fine. Though there are some differences,  like they changed the "I do Augustus, I do." into "Okay, Hazel Grace? Okay.", I still freakin like it. As long as they keep the main idea the same.

I read the book in early 2013 so now I don't really remember about the details (can't go check either because the book right now is still borrowed by a friend, thank you very much.) but I'm pretty sure there's this part where John explains that the title has something to do with the whole story. Yea, that's the perk of being a reader :P if you only watch the movie you won't get why on earth it's titled TFiOS
But well, I did some research and I'll let you know anyway.


I LOVE John Michael Green very much. Not only is he excellent when it comes to writing, but he also has a delighting personality. He's very funny—you can tell from his writing. There are these people who think that John is overrated, and I'm like, really? But he freaking deserves it. If I were him and I were about to write a novel with a male as the main character, I would suck. I never have been a guy and never will, and I prefer to write about girls. But John made it real, I could feel Hazel Grace to my heart content (lol). His upcoming movies are Paper Towns and Looking for Alaska (yeay!) but I recommend you to see the book because both are very good. I guess I really love his book because his jokes are intelligent (the way he relates them with math or anything).

So here are my favourite quotes from The Fault in Our Stars.

"That's the thing about pain. It demands to be felt."

"The world is not a wish-granting factory."

"It's a metaphor, see: you put the killing thing right between your teeth, but you don't give it the power to do its killing."

"My thoughts are stars I can't fathom into constellations."

"I'm on a roller-coaster that only goes up, my friends."

"I'm in love with you, and I'm not in the business of denying myself the simple pleasure of saying true things. I'm in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, and that we're all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, and I know the sun will swallow the only earth we'll ever have, and I am in love with you."

"There are infinite numbers between 0 and 1. There's 0.1 and 0.12 and 0.112 and an infinite collection of others. Of course, there is a bigger infinite set of numbers between 0 and 2, or between 0 and a million. Some infinities are bigger than other infinities. There are days, many of them, when I resent the size of my unbounded set. I want more numbers than I'm likely to get, and God, I want more numbers for Augustus Waters than he got. But, Gus, my love, I cannot tell you how thankful I am for our little infinity. I wouldn't trade it for the world. You gave me a forever within the numbered days, and I'm grateful."

"But I will say this: When the scientists of the future show up at my house with robot eyes and they tell me to try them on, I will tell the scientists to screw off, because I do not want to see a world without Augustus Waters."

"When you go into the ER, one of the first things they ask you to do is rate your pain on a scale of one to ten, and from there they decide which drugs to use and how quickly to use them. I'd been asked this question hundreds of times over the years, and I remember once early on when I couldn't get my breath and it felt like my chest was on fire, flames licking the inside of my ribs fighting for a way to burn out of my body, my parents took me to the ER. nurse asked me about the pain, and I couldn't even speak, so I held up nine fingers.
Later, after they'd given me something, the nurse came in and she was kind of stroking my head while she took my blood pressure and said, "You know how I know you're a fighter? You called a ten a nine."
But that wasn't quite right. I called it a nine because I was saving my ten. And here it was, the great and terrible ten."

"Almost everyone is obsessed to leave a mark upon the world. We all want to be remembered. I do, too. But Van Houten: the marks humans leave are too often scars."

"The real heroes anyway aren't the people doing things; the real heroes are the people NOTICING things, paying attention. The guy who invented the smallpox vaccine didn't actually invent anything. He just noticed that people with cowpox didn't get smallpox."

"What else? She is so beautiful. You don't get tired of looking at her. You never worry if she is smarter than you: You know she is. She is funny without ever being mean. I love her. I am so lucky to love her, Van Houten. You don't get to choose if you get hurt in this world, old man, but you do have some say in who hurts you. I like my choices. I hope she likes hers.

I do, Augustus
I do."

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik